Norfolk Advocates for Children is a public and private partnership of more than 50 agencies, including social service agencies, local hospitals, state agencies, court departments, private mental health and medical professionals, and 27 police departments in Norfolk County and the Norfolk County District Attorney. These participating agencies contribute many resources, services and consultation to ensure that NAC reaches its goals.
The goals of Norfolk Advocates for Children are:
- To minimize the number of times that abused children are interviewed
- To provide a swift and sensitive response to child abuse victims and their families
- To facilitate coordination and collaboration between community agencies
- To ensure that comprehensive services are available to meet the needs of
child abuse victims and their families in Norfolk County
The services provided by Norfolk Advocates for Children include:
- Joint interviews and prosecution
- Victim advocacy
- Medical Exams
- Mental health referrals
- Case review and tracking
- Education, training and resources for the community on topics related to
child abuse and family violence
Norfolk Advocates for Children was awarded full accreditation with the National Children's Alliance on October 19, 2010.